Mortgage Fraud Defense Lawyers
In recent years, the federal government, FBI and state law enforcement agencies have begun aggressively investigating and prosecuting mortgage brokers and other lending professionals with mortgage fraud.
If you are currently under investigation for mortgage fraud or have been indicted, you need to consult with criminal defense attorneys now. The longer you wait to obtain legal help, the more difficult your case will become.
Located in Plano, the Shapiro Law Firm provides strong defense to mortgage professionals throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area who are under investigation for, or have been charged with, mortgage fraud.
Our attorneys are highly experienced litigators. We have been defending clients against criminal charges for more than 40 years. We are committed to protecting our clients, and we fight to get the results our clients want.
Dedicated Defense Against Mortgage Fraud Charges
Mortgage fraud is the intentional misrepresentation or omission of a material fact that is relied upon by an underwriter when insuring a loan. A wide variety of activities can expose professionals to criminal mortgage fraud charges, including:
- Inflating property appraisal values to secure a larger loan
- Inflating a borrower’s income or assets to secure a larger loan
- Understating a borrower’s debts
- Misrepresenting the person borrowing the funds
- Skimming equity off of a home value
- Misrepresenting the intended use of the property, i.e., investment vs. residential
- Cash-back schemes involving rebates
- Obtaining multiple loans for the same property whose aggregate greatly exceeds the value of the property
- Excessive lien stacking
- Other fraudulent schemes involving straw borrowers, appraisers and settlement agents working together to defraud the lender
Plano Mortgage Fraud Defense Attorneys
Professionals accused of mortgage fraud should be concerned about the long-term financial ramifications for them and punishment if found guilty.
If you’ve been charged with mortgage fraud, your career and your freedom are on the line. Accusations alone often irreparably damage professional reputations and destroy employment relationships. If convicted, you face hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and possible prison time.
Our lawyers begin each case with a careful investigation into the facts — the accusations and the mortgage documents involved. We also examine law enforcement behavior, including search and seizure procedures and interrogation methods to ensure our clients’ constitutional rights have not been violated. We then develop a solid, effective defense.