How to Prepare for a Divorce in the DFW Metroplex
Divorce is a difficult time filled with considerable emotion and a large number of legal and financial considerations. The better prepared you are for the divorce process, the quicker, easier and less expensive the divorce will be for all parties involved. Even if you and your spouse are involved in disputes over child custody, child support, property division and other issues, there are steps you can take to protect your rights.
At the Shapiro Law Firm, in Plano, our experienced family law attorneys can help you prepare for your divorce and help you make important decisions about your future. We will review your situation with you to help you understand your options, answer any questions you have about the process and represent you during any disputes over matters concerning your divorce. We represent families and individuals in Collin County and the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
Considerations in Texas Divorce
There are many steps that individuals can take prior to filing for divorce that can help to make the process as smooth as possible. These steps include:
- Making plans for living arrangements, particularly if the house is going to be sold in a divorce and the proceeds will be split.
- Separating your finances. This includes closing joint bank accounts and opening a new account for each spouse. This may impact child support payments in the future.
- Knowing your assets and liabilities. This includes the proper valuation of business and real estate assets. You also need to protect yourself from marital fraud and hidden assets.
- Thinking about the physical division of cars, appliances and other household items. Fighting over these objects can often drag out divorce proceedings.
- Talking with an experienced lawyer.
Dealing with the issues surrounding divorce is never easy, and given the stress involved with the entire process, it can often be difficult to know what to do next. By discussing your divorce with an experienced lawyer, you can feel confident that you are making the right decisions for your family and your future.
Contact the Shapiro Law Firm
If you are preparing for a divorce, contact us at the Shapiro Law Firm and discuss your situation with one of our attorneys. Get the answers you deserve. Call our office in Plano, Texas, at 972-468-0716 and schedule an appointment for an initial consultation.